Betts Ecology & Estates are a friendly team and welcome enquiries to join us. The following opportunities are currently available:
Senior Ecological Surveyors / Licensed Ecologists
Betts are currently looking for suitably experienced and licensed ecologists to join our friendly team just outside Worcester. We are a family-run firm and dedicated to providing a positive environment, promoting a good work-life balance to all our staff.
These roles will include surveys across a variety of clients and site sizes, with support from our in-house team.
The roles are full-time, Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm, with some variation during bat survey season, as would be expected in any ecology role. Where hours outside 9-5 are necessary, we try to maintain the usual number of working hours for our staff, by being flexible with working times. The posts are permanent and full time, with an initial 3-month probationary period. You will mostly be based at our Martley office, with occasional travel (costs covered). Flexibility to work from home at times can be accommodated dependent on circumstances.
Essential skills for these roles:
- Botany skills of a level to conduct Preliminary Ecological Assessments (PEAs)
- Experience carrying out Preliminary Roost Assessments (PRAs)
- Experience Carrying out Dusk Emergence / Dawn Return Bat Surveys to a level submissible for planning applications;
- Good spoken and written English;
- Experience of scientific report writing;
- Class 1 bat surveying licence;
- Familiarity with relevant aspects of the British planning system and current regulations (including EU as applied to UK), guidance and best practice as they relate to wildlife and biodiversity, including BS 42020, UKBAP species & habitats, the CIEEM ecological survey guidance and protected species licensing (where relevant);
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and associated programs.
- Undertaking PEAs, PRAs, and nocturnal bat surveys (see later on working hours);
- Producing reports and other associated document writing for the above surveys using our in-house templates (initial training and support will be provided in this area, if needed);
- Attending site/online meetings with clients (where required and related to ecology matters);
- Keeping timesheets;
- General office duties related to the role.
- Relevant professional experience and survey licences;
- Membership of CIEEM or equivalent, or evidence that you are working towards this;
- (At least) Class 1 bat survey licence;
- (Ideally) A clean driving licence. “Pool” vehicles are available to staff for survey work, but your own vehicle and insurance is desirable for travel to and from the office.
Salary will be in the range of £25,000 - £50,000 dependent on experience.
In the first instance, please email your full CV with a letter setting out why you think you would be suited to the post (one side of A4) to email@example.com.
Full job description
At Betts Estates, we provide high-quality public open space land adoption and management. Due to company growth, an exciting opportunity has arisen within our team for a Grounds Operative to join our existing Grounds Management Team at our family-run Ecological Consultancy and Conservation Land Management Company.
Based in Martley, Worcester, the job will involve travelling to a variety of sites to provide biodiversity-enhancing site management on our public open green spaces.
Candidates will have experience of using relevant tools (strimmers, loppers, pedestrian and ride-on mowers) as well as knowledge/experience of ecologically-friendly management techniques.
Training, tickets and qualifications in relevant areas (chainsaw, towing, tractor-driving etc.) would be advantageous, as would experience of using Microsoft Planner.
Successful applicants will be working both alone on sites and as part of a team, so self-motivation is essential.
Driving licence is essential.
Please apply by sending your cover letter and CV FAO Natalie Loben.
Previous applicants need not apply.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: £20,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
- Monday to Friday
All government guidelines are followed.
- Grounds Maintenance: 1 year (preferred)
- Towing Licence (preferred)
Work Location: On the road