Arboricultural Surveys (BS 5837 Tree Surveys)
The 1990 Town and Country Planning Act requires Local Planning Authorities to ensure that adequate provision is made for the protection of trees, both through the use of planning conditions and of Tree Protection Orders (TPOs). Local Plans can also include policies relating to trees and may include requirements to protect existing trees and secure the planting of new ones.
The most widely recognized method of tree survey follows BS 5837 which provides guidelines for assessing likely effects of a proposed development and advises on reasonable measures for safeguarding valuable trees. Using these guidelines, a Visual Tree Assessment (VTA) is undertaken of all trees within a site boundary. Data are collected regarding physical characteristics of each species and whether the tree is the subject of a TPO or lies within a Conservation Area. Each tree is mapped and classified depending on how desirable its retention is, and an arboricultural method statement is produced describing measures to be taken to ensure protection of all trees to be retained.
Betts’ arborist staff are registered members of the Arboriculture Association and are also able to assist with bat surveys in trees, enabling us to provide comprehensive tree, woodland and protected species surveying services.
- Pre site acquisition survey and advice
- BS5837 surveys and plans
- Ancient Woodland inspections
- Tree and bat surveys (Legally Protected Species) Tree and vegetation surveys for risk management
- GIS & topographical surveys
- Tree Preservation Order searches for land owners and home buyers
- Arboricultural reports for lenders and home buyers
- Overhead Line Inspections for pruning/de-vegetation
- TPO review/re-survey/CAVET survey
- Drone surveys
Advisory, Written Technical Input & Representation
- EIA and Environmental Statement chapter input
- BS5837 reports and advisory services
- Policy research and advisory services
- Expert services & Public Inquiry representation
- Advisory services to loss adjusters/engineers/designers/etc.
- Development site (BS5837 compliance) monitoring
- Tree and de-vegetation contractor management
- Local Government sub consultant services
- Estate management and biodiversity enhancement